Saturday 6 October 2012

Task 1b: Professional Communication Technologies


Before reading the first reader, I obviously (like everyone on this course) kept seeing “web 2.0” everywhere and I was like what is this??? Is it going to be something that I have to download to do my work on or something! Whilst reading the reader (and listening to it, I used the tool where you can get your computer to read it to you because I’m sad and get entertained by these things.) I was very surprised when I realized I use “web 2.0” ALL of the time! Starting way back when, when I used “MYSPACE”  and thinking about it I used a lot of “web 2.0” tools then because on MySpace I used to write blogs (people could comment on them underneath) and obviously you could upload, photos, videos, music etc.

When I was reading through I couldn't help but think how much technology and things like social media sites develop from generation to generation. My grandparents are amazed by things I do on Facebook, YouTube and on my phone etc, but then I find sometimes that a 12 year old will be doing something on the computer that I haven’t got a clue how to do. I think that’s because from an early age they spend a lot more time on their computer and smart phones. This led me on to the thought of times when I was 12 and I use to “play out “with my friends and today kids will just sit at home chatting on Facebook. Will social media end up taking over and even if you live very close to someone will you just start having “catch ups” over Facebook and not go out for coffee etc as much?  Looking through other students blogs I found that I wasn’t the only one with this thought, I found Liam Conman who’s blog I found particular interesting on this matter.
One fact that I found a little worrying was: “People spend over 500 billion minutes per month on Facebook” 


On a brighter note.... I love social media sites and think they are great (as long as you don’t spend all your time Facebook stalking people. I think they are very good tools to use in the professional world as well because every website you look at now will use them, for example on a local dance schools website it will have a link to their facebook for their students to go on and also you will find videos from YouTube that they linked to their site. That that people can participate on these sites makes you visit them more I feel.
One website that I visit to get “facts” from but have never contributed to is Wikipedia? Does anyone else ever add info to there??

Please comment and share your thoughts on this with me... I hope it all makes sense!! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lee - thanks for this post. It would be good to hear more from you on what / WHO you read and how they informed your thinking. In the academic world we like opinion to be formed in a coherent way building on the ideas of others. This shows that we have the ability to think critically about readings and apply these to our own thoughts and opinions. It's also beneficial to embrace differences in readings on the same topic as we analyse and interpret and apply readings to our own professional practice. A good start.

    ReplyDelete